4000 Essential English Words
4000 Essential English Words is a six-book series that is designed to focus on practical high-frequency words to enhance the vocabulary of learners from high beginning to advanced levels. The 600 words in each book of this series along with the additional target words presented in the appendices included in the first three words of the series are the most useful words in English.
• Clear, easy to understand definitions and examples.
• Various activities to reinforce target vocabulary.
• Progressive development of vocabulary across levels.
• Original stories which utilize target words.
• Useful color images that illustrate each target word.
• Free downloadablesupplemental audio recordings of target word lists. and stories to aid in listening and pronunciation.
View samples as e-books
Reading for Speed and Fluency
Although many English language learners are able to comprehend basic texts, they still face the obstacle of reading far below the optimal rate. Research suggests that 250 words per minute is the target reading speed for fluent second language learning. In order to develop their reading speed, students need to practice reading at an accelerated pace with texts that have little or no new vocabulary that might slow them down.
• Thematically arranged reading passages to facilitate readers' comprehension of subsequent texts within each grouping.
• Strictly controlled vocabulary throughout the book to limit the slowing effect of unfamiliar words.
• Preview activities at the beginning of each chapter to promote faster reading of passages through pre-exposure to vocabulary and content found within the chapter.
• Multiple-choice questions following each passage that allow students to self monitor their comprehension at accelerated reading speeds.
• Progress charts at the back of the book that allow students to graphically record their personal reading speed development.
View samples as e-books
The Extensive Reading Foundation
The Extensive Reading Foundation is a not-for-profit, charitable organization whose purpose is to support and promote extensive reading. One Foundation initiative is the annual Language Learner Literature Award for the best new works in English. Another is maintaining a bibliography of research on extensive reading. The Foundation is also interested in helping educational institutions set up extensive reading programs through grants that fund the purchase of books and other reading material.
This bibliography contains abstracts of over 400 books, articles, research studies and dissertations related to the use of extensive reading in second/foreign language education.